Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Radiator Springs Sign

The only good thing about this horrible weather is that I have been stuck in the house for days and, therefore, have had tons of time to get my #DisneySide on! One of the projects I have been working on is a Radiator Springs sign. I got my inspiration from this photo of a sign at Disneyland's Cars Land:

I started with a large cardboard box that I cut into a rectangle. I then began the faux wood treatment on it as follows:
1. Lightly spray black spray paint all over the surface in random patterns


2. Next use a small paint tray and add water to where the paint normally goes. Then squeeze a small amount of white paint on the ramp of the tray. Dip the brush in the paint and then in the water. Brush off the excess water on the ramp of the tray until the brush is no longer dripping.



3. Paint stripes of white across your cardboard in the directions you want your wood "boards" to go. 4. Repeat the water down and painting process with brown paint. 

5. Use black paint to paint lines, creating boards. You can also use black paint to create knots and other imperfections in the "wood". 

6. I printed out my letters and then painted over them, but feel free to freestyle paint them for a more realistic look. 


7.  I found a great photo of Route 66 online, printed it, and glued it to a cardboard backing. I then used cardboard and posterboard to create a sign post and attached it to both of my signs.


Finished product: 




No comments:

Post a Comment